Recently, Home Franchise Concepts (HFC) and its family of brands, Budget Blinds®, Tailored Living®, Concrete Craft®, and AdvantaClean® partnered with HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to completely renovate the homes of two very deserving families in California:
- The Fifita family in Hawthorne
- The Joseph family in Carson
Both families are dedicated to going the extra mile (or more!) to help the less fortunate in their communities, to the detriment of their own homes which now could use some extreme TLC.
Two families, all four HFC brands
It was exciting for franchise owners, Home Office associates, installers, technicians, and vendor manufacturing partners to be part of such a life-changing show by donating time, product, and expertise to help make the homes amazing for these special families. This 2020 relaunch of the iconic Extreme Makeover: Home Edition TV series has a new show host, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), along with a dynamic design team, including designers Breegan Jane and Carrie Locklyn, and carpenter Darren Keefe to personalize every facet of the renovations. The HFC brands were proud to contribute what they do best in home improvement and renovation to reach the climactic “Move. That. Bus!” moment for each family.
The Fifita Family
Brian and Lisa Fifita have lived in their home for 17 years, and are parents to five children, two currently living at home. Living in a neighborhood where gang violence is a threat, the Fifitas have made their home a haven for local kids to have a safe place to hang out, eat, do homework, play basketball, and spend the night. Hospitality is a big part of their Tongan, Polynesian culture so their doors are always open. Over the years they have hosted an amazing number of kids (Brian says up to 23!) with the resultant wear and tear. Show host Jesse succinctly summed up the major problem: “The house is too small for the amount of love you want to give.”Beautiful window coverings from Budget Blinds were just the beginning of the surprises for the Fifita family as they toured their fully renovated new home
It was indeed an extreme makeover, creating a tropical, Polynesian island décor and almost doubling the home’s footprint by expanding the kitchen and adding another bathroom and bedroom. Not surprisingly, the master bedroom becoming a master suite with its own bathroom was a big hit. “This is the best part of the house!” according to Brian, and Lisa is all smiles, “This is our bathroom; we don’t have to share with the kids! The HFC brands contributed to the incredible makeover:
- Tailored Living installed custom closet storage systems in the master bedroom and daughter Nancy’s room, as well as two Murphy Beds and a built-in entertainment center in the new bedroom that brought son, Salesi, from his garage room into the house.
- Throughout the home, custom shades and drapery from Budget Blinds brought beauty and style and complete light and privacy control to every room with motorized window coverings.
- Concrete Craft helped to convert the huge backyard to functional living space with decorative concrete resurfacing that repaired the driveway/courtyard and the much-loved basketball court.
- AdvantaClean donated two years of air duct cleaning to ensure home safety with better air quality and to also improve the HVAC system’s efficiency, lowering monthly energy bills.
- View before-and-after photos of the complete Fifita home makeover: Creating a Safe Gathering Space Within a Polynesian-Inspired Home.
The Joseph family
Deon and Tosha and their three children are all involved in reaching out to the homeless people on Skid Row in Los Angeles. Deon is a police officer, known as “The Angel Cop” of Skid Row. He passes out hygiene packs that his family assembles in their garage as he encourages people with big hugs and everything from food and clothing to housing. His duct tape method of home repair for their ranch style home has finally reached crisis levels with moisture and mold causing allergies for his son, Xavier. As a thank you from the community, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition stepped in to give them the home they deserve, a modern resort-like beach house.
Tailored Living's innovative garage storage and flooring created functional living space for the family as well as ideal working conditions for assembling hygiene pack
Inside and out, the makeover was dedicated to bringing the 1943 home style of small rooms into the twenty-first century open concept design affording interactive living and lots of natural light. Walls came down and windows opened up the house from the entryway into the kitchen, dining room, and family room areas. Front and back yards became beautiful, usable space for extended living space. The HFC brands make major contributions to the overall aesthetic and comfort of the new home:
- Budget Blinds installed motorized organic shades and linen drapery panels to coordinate the beach theme throughout the home while providing light and privacy control.
- Tailored Living made the bedroom closets functional with custom closet storage systems, and the garage a haven with garage cabinets, custom flooring, Slatwall panels, and automated lift platforms for overhead storage.
- Concrete Craft restored the driveway in front and in the back; the patio became entertainment friendly with a decorative concrete wood plank design that turned the slab into a beachy, wooden boardwalk.
- AdvantaClean will provide a year of preventative maintenance to eliminate mold and in-home contaminates and keep the air quality clean with air duct cleaning services.
- View before-and-after photos of the complete Joseph home makeover: Transforming a Basic Ranch Into a Modern Beach Dream House.
The freedom of franchising
Not every job would afford the opportunity to participate in such activities, but as an independent franchise owner, you can become involved in giving back to your community, donating time and expertise for initiatives that are close to your heart. Plus, you become part of a caring network of franchise owners that, together, can do so much more than individually. For instance, as part to the home renovation participation with Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, HFC and its brands gave $25,000 to each of the families through the company’s Heart & Home giving back program.
Home-focused brands let you help people live happy and healthy lives every day
If you’re interested in being your own boss, franchise ownership with any of the HFC brands can get you to profitability faster than with a new startup. Go online to Home Franchise Concepts or call 1-800-420-5374 to speak with one of our Franchise Licensing Advisors to learn more about franchising as your next career move. Check out what the individual brands have to offer: